Know before you go!
Here's what you need to know as you begin your M State career
Our Success Navigators are here to guide you along the way! Visit our Success Navigators webpage to learn more.
Check out this page for all the information you need about:
- Important dates
- Steps to success
- Paying for 快播成人
- Filling out the FAFSA
- Counseling services
- Social workers
- Veterans services
Steps to success
- Determine how you will pay your bill for tuition
- and meet all requests for information from Financial Aid office
- Apply for military benefits
- Set up a
- Pay your bill online in E-Services or at the bookstore (initial payment must be 15 percent or $300)
- Purchase your books and supplies
- Be aware of the book charging period.
- For on-campus and online classes, visit the campus store website for book-buying instructions
For questions or assistance, email CampusStore@minnesota.edu or call:
Detroit Lakes - 218.846.3727 Fergus Falls - 218.736.1556 Moorhead - 218.299.6570 Wadena - 218.631.7825
- Complete Online Orientation
This valuable experience will help prepare you for your time as an M State student and set you up for success. You can login at using your Office 365 SSO login information. If you have problems logging in, you can either call 218-299-6600 during business hours or submit a ticket at
- Complete the Spartan Connect Form
This form lets us gather some basic information about you and your needs as you transition to 快播成人. You can expect a Success Navigator to reach out to you to connect you to resources after completion. This form should take no longer than five minutes to complete. Complete the form today.
- Apply for Accessibility Resources
The Accessibility Resources office (formerly Disability Services) partners with faculty, staff and students to remove disability-related barriers to education through reasonable accommodations for qualified students.
- Make any needed adjustments in your life schedule
- Secure reliable child care
- Change your work schedule
- Discuss study time with your family
- Arrange transportation to campus
- Set educational goals
- Explore SpartanNet
Visit your SpartanNet page for links to E-Services, your M State email and D2L.
- Complete all required online prevention trainings before classes begin
Check your M State email for detailed instructions.
- Get your campus parking permit
Visit your campus Student Services office or contact us at 877-450-3322 for details on how to obtain your parking permit.
- Pick up your student ID
Get your student ID at your campus library. ID cards provide access to campus events and bookstore charging. In addition:
Detroit Lakes: Students can use their ID for unlimited rides with Lakes Transit and access to the Detroit Lakes Community and Cultural Center.
Fergus Falls: Students in on-campus housing use their student ID to access their meal plan in the cafeteria.
Moorhead: Students can use their ID for free use of the MAT bus and access to the on-campus Fitness Center (for students enrolled in at least one on-campus class).
Wadena: Students can inquire at local businesses to see if there is a student discount.
- Sign up for StarAlert
StarAlert is your campus emergency notification system, and .
- Locate your classrooms and familiarize yourself with campus resources.
Check your class schedule just prior to classes starting as room assignments may change.
- Apply for campus work study jobs
- Ask questions
Get your questions answered by calling/texting us at 1.877.450.3322, visiting or stopping by Student Services.
StarID is your unique username that provides you with single sign-on to many of your M State resources. To activate your StarID, change or reset an expired password, visit .
Once activated, you can use your StarID and password anywhere that accepts StarID. It is unique across all MinnState Colleges.
Use your StarID to log in to:
- Campus computers
- Wireless access
- D2L B快播成人space
- 快播成人 State resources
NOTE: Your StarID password will expire every 180 days
SpartanNet is your one-stop personal portal to all your 快播成人 resources, including e-services, D2L B快播成人space, email and more.
To log in to SpartanNet:
Go to: Click on the SpartanNet link, on the top 快播成人 side of the page. Enter your StarID and StarID password. Once you are logged in, you will see links to: Go to class in D2L, Help links, E-services, tech support and email.
E-Services is a place for you to register for classes, check your degree audit, look at your transcript, view your final grades, review your financial aid, pay your bills and much more. Log in to to access your E-Services.
D2L is the online course management tool faculty use to post your class information.
To access your D2L:
Log in to SpartanNet and click on Go to Class in D2L.
To see if your computer is compatible:
Log in to your D2L through SpartanNet. Click Technical Help from the drop-down menu and do a Systems Check to ensure your computer system is compatible and properly configured for D2L. Click the Tools & Help Resources Tab to check computer requirements.
You can also access the .
NOTE: The most current browser versions of Edge, Firefox and Google Chrome are supported. IE 10 and older browsers are not supported.
- Computer lab access
M State campuses have computer labs available for student use. When signing into a campus computer, log in using your StarID and StarID password. Please note that classes may be taking place in labs. Please check before entering. Here's where labs are located:
Detroit Lakes: Library, G114 and Student Life
Fergus Falls: Library, L148 and S432
Moorhead: Library, D119, E119 and the Commons area
Wadena: Library and N11a
NOTE: Students must save all files to a usb flash drive or online to OneDrive. The campus computers, once restarted, delete any saved information.
- Student email
Email is the official means of communication at M State, and it is your responsibility to check email regularly. You will be required to set up multi factor authentication when you sign in for the first time. This keeps your email safe.
You'll need to wait until after you're registered to set up your student email.
To access your email:
1. Log into SpartanNet.
2. On the left side of the page, click on the green Email & Office 365 button.
3. Sign in using the email/username firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Enter your SpartanNet password.
Your email address is:
- IT help
The quickest way to get help with an IT issue is to through SpartanNet or search our .
- Computer requirements for my program
Are you wondering what computer to buy? Follow this link to find computer requirements for specific programs. If your program is not listed, it means it does not require a computer.
- Campus printing
All students start with $12.50 of free printing credit each semester. Follow these links for more information on and . To check your print balance anytime, log into SpartanNet to see the printing balance displayed on your page.
- Zoom conferencing
Zoom is the official web conferencing tool for M State. for
- Free Office 365
Office 365 is available as a free download for all M State students.
- Quick contacts
Campus computer help centers can be contacted at:
- Detroit Lakes - 218.846.3764
- Fergus Falls - 218-736-1656
- Moorhead - 218.299.6600
- Wadena - 218.631.7873
Paying for 快播成人
Your options for paying for 快播成人 include:
- Cash/check/credit card
- Financial aid
- Military benefits
- Outside agency funding
- Payment plan
Here are answers to common questions about paying for 快播成人:
- Where do I find my student bill?
- Go to .
- Click on SpartanNet (top-快播成人 on page).
- Log in using your Star ID and Star ID password.
- Click on E-Services (top-left on page).
- Click on Bills & Payment (menu on left).
- Select Account Detail (menu on left).
- Where do I find my financial offer letter?
- Go to .
- Click on SpartanNet (top-快播成人 on page).
- Log in using your Star ID and Star ID password.
- Click on E-Services (top-left on page).
- Click on Financial Aid (menu on left).
- Select Awards (menu on left).
- How do I apply for campus work-study positions?
- Apply for financial aid by submitting the FAFSA.
- Submit your Offer Letter.
- Review work-study positions at .
- Meet with the Financial Aid Office to determine your eligibility.
- How can I avoid being dropped for non-payment?
All 快播成人 State 快播成人s and universities have a tuition policy where a student's registration may be cancelled from their courses if specific payment criteria are not met.
- Are payment plans available?
M State offers Nelnet/NBS as a. Students can also enroll each semester in a payment plan option through E-Services via SpartanNet. Please note: When you set up a payment plan, a deposit is required; so do not pay a deposit to the 快播成人 also, as the payment to Nelnet meets the requirement to secure your classes.
- Where can I pay my tuition?
- Are M State scholarships available?
Yes! M State plans to offer more than $470,000 in scholarships in the 2023-2024 academic year, thanks to our two foundations: Fergus Area College Foundation, which serves Fergus Falls campus students, and M State Foundation and Alumni, which serves students of the Detroit Lakes, Moorhead and Wadena campuses.
To learn more about these foundations and the scholarships they offer, click here.
- How do I search for external scholarships?
There are many resources available when searching for external scholarships.
Other resources may include (but are not limited to):
M State is also a North Star Promise Scholarship program-eligible institution, meaning 快播成人 residents who attend M State may be eligible for this state-sponsored "last-dollar" tuition- and fee-free pathway to 快播成人. For full details, including eligibility requirements, see our North Star Promise webpage HERE.
- Can M State share my financial information?
If you want M State to be able to discuss your account with a family member or friend in regard to financial aid, billing issues or tax information, you will need to sign a Release of Information form, found on our forms page under Records Office Forms.
- Is direct deposit available for overage checks?
To receive overage checks from financial aid or refunds more quickly, enroll in direct deposit through E-Services (in SpartanNet). The direct deposit link is found under Student Employment on your E-Service portal.
Filling out the FAFSA
Visit our Paying for 快播成人 site for information including:
- Creating a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID username and password
- Our financial aid checklist
- Grants and loans, including the 快播成人 Childcare Grant
More important financial aid information:
- Respond to all requests for information from the 快播成人.
- Check E-Services for your financial aid status (e.g. status letter):
Log into SpartanNet > E-Services > Financial Aid > Aid Application Status.
- Requests will be sent to your M State student e-mail account:
Log into SpartanNet > Email and Office 365.
- Review the Offer Letter sent to your M State student email account
- Grant funding will automatically apply as payment to your student account.
- Apply for the Federal Direct Student Loans (if planning to use loans).
COMPLETE STEPS 1-3 to apply loan funds as a payment to student accounts:
1. Submit Loan Request: Log into SpartanNet > E-Services > Financial Aid > Review & Respond to Award Notifications > Loans > Follow steps to accept and submit
2. Complete Entrance Counseling at /entrance-counseling
3. Complete Master Promissory Note (MPN), MPN for Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans at /mpn/
Have more questions? Visit Student Services on your campus or email us. If you email us, remember to include your full student name and M State Student ID number.
The counselors at M State are here to help with any situation that may interfere with the success of students. All services are free of charge to students. Visit our site to make an appointment with the next available counselor.
Our counseling services include:
- Career counseling
- Career interest and personality assessments
- Skills and values clarification
- Online career resources
- Identification of barriers to career success
- Personal counseling
- Relationship issues
- Sexual identity
- Assertiveness skills
- Self-esteem issues
- Learning from your mistakes
- Drug/alcohol abuse
- Eating disorders
- Transition to 快播成人
- Physical/sexual/emotional abuse
- Academic counseling
- Academic warning, probation or suspension
- Learning strategies
- Stress management
- Test anxiety
- Learning styles
- Study skills
- Time management
M State 快播成人 social workers are available to assist with learning about and accessing resources such as:
- Health and wellness
- Food and nutritional needs
Social workers' services include:
- Assistance with forms
- Assistance with applications
- Mediation between students and social service systems
- Follow-ups to ensure start of services
M State has a regional coordinator who can assist veterans and their eligible family members with accessing the 快播成人 benefits and educational programs. Visit our veterans services page for more information about our veterans services and a link to a benefit sign-up form.
The M State campus libraries are available to help students with a wide range of services, including:
- Computer labs with desktop and laptop computers
- Printing, scanning and photocopying
- Reference support -- both on-site and virtual
- Test proctoring (by appointment)
- Study rooms
Library hours vary by campus. Visit the library website for current hours and information.
M State students have a variety of housing options, depending on which of our four campuses they attend.
Sign up for a Start Smart Workshop!
Start Smart Workshop is a 2-hour event designed for all new and transferring students. This workshop will connect you with resources to help you reach your goals and achieve success. You will go through items such as accessing your email and syncing email to your phone. You will review different ways to pay for school and log into your account to make sure items are completed for financial aid processing. You will meet other students and view your upcoming schedule.
The online workshops are open to all M State students. Campus-based workshops are best suited to students who will be primarily attending those campuses.